Sunday, May 8, 2011

Homeward Bound

Finally time to head home. The day started with Ruth coming into the room a little before 7:30am, so much for sleeping in till 8am. She came in wide eyed and bushy tail and was ready to eat at 8am. After getting all the paperwork taken care of, doctors coming by, and packing up we were ready to go by 11:30am. Hey here is a funny for you. Watch two new parents try and put their newborn into a go home outfit as well as in a car seat for the first time. I think I broke a sweat trying to get her into the car seat. My thought is if I can get her in the seat quickly then she won't cry. I will give Ruth credit she sat still and never made a sound as we were trying to get her taken care of. We were able to finally get her in the seat and below is the proof!
Let's go home dad!
Now I have to say Ruth has been great in the hospital and really has been quite easy on us. I think Ruth knows we have no idea what we are doing. Well, then we go home and things changed...

It all started with a spit-up that lead to a quick clean up that lead to a scream fest that neither of us had heard of. I can say this much, neither Joanna nor I panicked and has she kept on screaming we went through our checklist that they gave us.
  1. Is she hungry (nope, just fed her)
  2. Is she dirty or wet (nope, just changed her)
  3. Gassy (Well how in the heck do you check that!!!)
Ok so we figured it was number 3 because that made the most sense. I was able to get her to calm down for about 30 min and then she fell asleep so into the bed she goes. Well 20 min later she is screaming again, COME ON!!!

Well this time grandma took her but that did not work, so it was mama time and you know what... That worked! Joanna took her and walked down the hall and sang Jesus Loves Me, and to sleep she went. As I speak now she is still asleep and will wake up in about an hour to eat. It has been a lot of fun and I cannot see how a person could do this by herself. Anyway below are some photos of the day!




3 comments:

J Hammer said...

that picture of her smiling CRACKS ME UP! she looks like she's got it made in that comfy pink swing, dreaming about eating again probably! ha. can't wait to meet her! i am thinking of all three of you every day!

Unknown said...

Hang in there Hopkins Family! Everyone tells you how life will change but no one can ever prepare you for how hard it is being a Mom (&Dad) ...yes, single moms get the award...every time I'm alone with both of the boys during long days and coaching nights...I call myself a single mom during football season...but I still am thankful that I have a partner on our team!
Praying for a smooth transition...

Her sweet, beautiful face makes it all worth it.
Love ya'll--and PS--we survived on Mylicon gas drops the first months of the boys lives...when in doubt... Mylicon!

EJ

Mary Beth said...

Loving following Ruth's new adventures!! She is such a pretty little thing. Enjoy every minute. Congrats!